RIO DE JANEIRO, Jan. 3-- Lucas Lima said Wednesday that his move to Palmeiras will improve his chances of a recall to Brazil's national team ahead of this year's World Cup. Lima fronted the media for the first time since joining the Sao Paulo club from rivals Santos on a five-year contract last month. "I know it was the right move and I'm very happy," the 27-year-old said. "It's a World Cup year and I think coming to Palmeiras will bring me closer to [the World Cup]. But irrespective of what I do individually, I think that winning titles can also help my chances." The last of Lima's 14 appearances for Brazil came almost a year ago in the team's 1-0 friendly victory over Colombia at the Maracana stadium. He has not played a competitive fixture for the Selecao since their 2-0 defeat of Peru in Lima in November 2016. Lima insists that his allegiance is now with Palmeiras despite their traditional antagonism with Santos. "My heart is now green. I came to Palmeiras for the club, for the fans, to play in front of a packed stadium, to be happy and to win titles," he said. "Some people might still doubt me but I hope to convince them with my form on the pitch." The 2018 World Cup will be played in 11 Russian cities from June 14 to July 15. |